Friday 1 March 2013

February Vegan food swap and Birthday treats!

Sorry it's been a while, can't believe I haven't blogged for the whole of February! I have had a rather busy month.

On 15th February it was my Goddaughter's 1st birthday and I was very happy that the local soft play centre offered soya milk so I was able to have a Mocha! They also had vegetarian meals for kids and adults although these contained Quorn so not vegan freindly, but a lot better then the usual offerings at these places.

I also spent an afternoon at my childhood friend's house in Brighton. Both her and her fiancé are vegan and we had a lovely roast consisting of sausages, roast potatoes, mustard glazed carrots and parsnips, garlic mushrooms, purple sprouting broccoli, rice & peas and vegan yorkshire puddings. It's a shame I forgot to take a photo!

When I arrived home from Brighton my Vegan foodswap parcel had arrived from Julie


 
I received seaweed rice crackers which were very tasty, a golden coconut dark chocolate bar (bountyish) this was lovely and I gobbled it down soon after opening the box. I also had apricot filled biscuits which were lovely with a cup of coffee. The dark chocolate contains raspberry pieces which I didn't realise at first as it didn't say on the packet (although there is a mssive raspberry on the front!) this made a nice change. The best part of the box was the homemade vegan fudge.
 

This was so nice it didn't take me long to finish off the whole bag, I did manage to share a couple of pieces with my Mum though! I asked Julie for the recipe so I can have a go at making this myself. I would say this was the best fudge (vegan or otherwise) I have ever tasted!

It was also my birthday in February. I received a lovely owl bag from my Dad from Vegan Cross, I haven't taken a pic yet but here is the item on their website http://www.vegancross.com/product_p/lftb0391.htm I also took a trip up there myself to spend some of my birthday money, I bought some soya spray cream, dark bubbly chocolate (aero-esque), cappuccino white chocolate, vegan oreos, hazelnut chocolate spread and vegan doner meat. I had the doner meat for dinner one night last week with crudite, houmous and a ciabatta roll, it was delish!


For my birthday meal my boyf took me to Manna in Primrose Hill http://www.mannav.com/
My phone had no battery so sorry for the lack of pics! For starter I had a cannellini bean slider with smoky paprika potato wedges and the boyf had mushroom and pepper quesadilla which he really enjoyed, I think this was the first time he had had vegan cheese or sour cream. For main I had the Caribbean platter which consisted of a stew, aromatic rice, a jerk tofu, roasted onion and plaintain kebab served with a pineapple, ackee and courgette salsa. The boyf had mushroom and asparagus risotto strudel served with a truffled jus, roasted tomatoes and seasoned greens. At this point I was starting to feel full but there was no way I was skipping dessert! We both went for the sticky toffee pudding with brandied pecan vice cream and caramel sauce and it was truely divine!

I have had a month off healthy eating owing to all the birthday celebrations, so I haven't weighed myself but will be back on it this month!

I have quite a vegan month coming up with Vegfest Brighton http://brighton.vegfest.co.uk/ and I am going on a forage in Essex at the end of the month.

Until next time vegheads!

Vgirl Xx





No comments:

Post a Comment