Thursday 10 January 2013

The Gate Vegetarian Restaurant Islington

I've been a bit slack since Christmas, but got lots of vegan related things going on so will be posting more. Last night I went to see Matthew Bourne's Sleeping Beauty at Sadler's Well in Islington with my Mum. It was AMAZING! A truely modern interpretation set from 1890 to 2011. (A real 100 years sleep!)

Beforehand we went for a meal at The Gate. I have been to their branch in Hammersmith twice, always good when seeing a show at the Apollo. We booked as I know they get busy and last night was no exception. They had a pre-theatre menu for £15 for 2 courses. This was what my mum went for, there were 2 choices for each course (1 vegan option each) but unfortunately the soup of the day was Mexican bean and the main was tacos, as much as I love beans I didn't want a double helping! My Mum is omni but regularly enjoys vegetarian food and looks up new recipes online for when I go to hers for dinner.

She had the Mexican soup and Butternut, Sage and Stilton Risotto. 

I had carciofini -baby artichokes stuffed with a mushroom duxelles with a lentil salad and aioli. It was heaven! When I get a free afternoon I may try stuffing and deep frying artichokes and this is something you will want to try again! And I love artichokes just eaten straight from the jar!

For main I had Roasted Vegetable and Chickpea Tagline with pomegranate tabbuleh. The tagline was quite sweet with dates and really rich, took me straight back to Marrakech! The tabbuleh was refreshing with parsley and the pomegranate and it complimented the tagine nicely.

The only disappointment was the dessert menu, there were no specially vegan dishes, only ones that could be veganised, and those just seemed a bit standard. I'm not usually able to eat dessert in a regular restaurant so veggie places normally go all out. Well it saved on the calories at least!

I'm on my monthly meal with my vegetarian colleague tonight to Vegetarian's Paradise Bhel Poori House. So will let you know how that goes!

Til next time vegheads

Vgirl Xx

1 comment:

  1. We went to The Gate quite a while ago - at the Hammersmith location - and wasn't convinced. The food that I ordered was absolutely amazing, but my boyfriend's choices all lacked flavour and we could rustle up something better at home. We were also seated RIGHT at the front, even though most of the tables were available!

    ReplyDelete