Sunday 4 November 2012

a very vegan week


I made a stew with dumplings last week and I'm definitely going to make this more often. So warming on a cold winter's night.

As Thursday was World Vegan Day I baked some cakes for work and gave out a few leaflets.


I made Chocolate Walnut Fudge, Peanut Squares, Brownies and a Raw Chocolate Ganache that all went down really well. 
On Thursday evening I went out with my vegetarian friend to Amico Bio www.ammicobio.co.uk we had a groupon voucher which entitled us to 3 courses each and espresso for £12 each. We both had the polenta with mushrooms to start, then I had roasted seitan with roasted parsnips, carrots and potatoes while my friend had spaghetti with white beans and courgettes. The portions were really small, I only had half a roast potato! For dessert I have cinnamon and sharonfruit ice crean and my friend had a rum baba. I was surprised there weren't more vegan options for dessert as usually vegetarian restaurants are quite good for them. We both felt we could have eaten double, which is definitely rare for me when I've had a three course meal. On the bus home someone got on with a bag of chips and I had to contain myself not to reach over and nick a handful! It was an ok meal seeing as we only paid £12 but I wouldn't pay full price. 

On Friday I attended Fat Gay Vegan's (www.fatgayvegan.com) Dia de los muertos (day of the dead) Mexican Fiesta. We were served up 7 courses of deliciousness, starting with fried potatoes with sauces. Followed a bean soup and a dish of corn cooked with chilli and lime smothered in vegan mayonnaise. After that we had jackfruit taquitos a re-working of the pulled pork version and for dessert we had churros with chilli hot chocolate all accompanied with tequila. It all tasted great and I met some lovely people. 

Yesterday I met up with some people in Brixton to go to the Vegan Tart stall. www.thevegantart.co.uk I had the savoury mushroom and spinach tart and bought the spiced cake to take home. I also had some Ethiopian food consisting of lentils, okra and vegetables in bread. I had a look in at www.mscupcake.co.uk I've never been to the shop but I've tried their cakes at different events. I didn't buy anything as I already had the tarts. After that we headed to the pub to defrost after being outside for a good long while and I again got to chat to some lovely new people. 

Today my Dad is coming over for dinner, the boyf was supposed to be cooking a pork joint for the pair of them but as he was really ill last night he is still in bed so think I'm going to whip up a shepherdess pie as the meaty version is one of my Dad's favourite (and signature) dishes. 

Until next time Veg Heads!

Vgirl Xx

No comments:

Post a Comment